The Islamic Centre (2a Sutherland Street)
The Islamic Centre was established in 1968 by a group of Pakistani Muslims settled in Leicester. The Centre was and is still based at 2a Sutherland Street and is one of the oldest Mosques in Leicester. This is a Mosque converted from residential properties. In the midst of the 1970s, when Muslims from East Africa and other countries started to come and settle in Leicester, the Mosque underwent an extension and refreshment with the additional participation of Muslims of Indian and Bangladeshi origin. As the facilities at this building were very limited and the growing population of Muslims needed facilities for Islamic activities on a large scale, the Trustees and Management Council of the Centre embarked upon an historical project of building a purpose-built Mosque in the heart of the city of Leicester.
The Leicester Central Mosque (Conduit Street)
The foundation of this historical complex was laid in a ceremony attended by eminent Muslim scholars from all over Britain and overseas on Saturday 27th August 1988.
The first phase consisted of the main prayer hall providing prayer facilities for 1500 people.
The second phase consisted of the basement ablution area, ground floor reception and offices and the first floor ladies gallery providing prayer facilities for 300 ladies with associated ablution facilities.
The third phase of the project consisted of a school, a community hall, Imams' residence, a mortuary and a guest house. Alhamdolillah, by the grace of Allah, the mosque attendees have donated over two million pounds toward the total cost of the project.